Software Engineering Important Question Bank
Unit-1 Software Crises and Myths
1) Explain software engineering: a layered technology.
2) What are customer’s myths? Explain realities of each myth.
3) Explain any two software myth related to management myth with its reality.
4) What are the four P’s of software project management? Explain it in detail.
5) What do you mean by S/w process? explain common process framework
6) Explain Prototyping model in detail with advantages & disadvantages.
7) Explain RAD model in detail with advantages & disadvantages.
8) Explain Spiral model in detail with advantages & disadvantages.
9) Explain linear sequential model/waterfall model in detail with advantages & disadvantages.
10) Explain W5HH principle in detail & also explain three generic team organizations.
11) What do you mean by “Software myths”? Discuss in detail.
12) What do you mean by evaluation of software? What are the characteristics of software?
13) What are practitioner’s myths? Explain realities of each myth.
14) What are the different factors in choosing software process model?
15) Explain umbrella activities in detail. 16) What are the attributes of good software?
Unit -2 Software Measure and Planning
1) How do you measure software resources?
2) Explain the different approaches to sizing problem?
3) Explain RIS (Risk Information Sheet) with example.
4) Differentiate between process indicators and project indicators
5) What are the activities involved in software project planning? Explain each in detail?
6) Define measure, measurement and metrics. What are process and project metrics?
7) Explain function oriented metric and how, function point is calculated? Give an example?
8) Describe differences between risk component & risk drivers. 9) What are various software risk explain in detail.
10) State and explain the measures of Software Quality.
11) List the different metrics for software measurement and explain any one of them.
12) Explain the size oriented metrics. Give an example
13) Explain how Defect Removal Efficiency for a software product and project is calculated. Give an example
14) Describe COCOMO II Model in detail.
15) Describe Risk projection in detail.
16) Explain Risk mitigation, monitoring and management.
17) Elaborate the concept of Make/Buy decision.
Unit -3 Project Scheduling
1) Explain various software quality assurance activity in detail
2) Write a short note on project scheduling
3) Explain with suitable example Earned Value Analysis
4) What is Quality Assurance Program Checklist
5) State the Project Scheduling principle, mention and elaborate relationship between people
6) What are the minimal set of guidelines for formal technical review
7) Explain the empirical relationship between no. of lines of code delivered, effort and
8) Explain with example, how timeline chart helps in scheduling a software product.
9) Define SCM and describe various elements of SCM
10) Explain software reviews in detail
11) Explain activity network mechanism for concept development project
12) What do you mean by defect amplification model? Discuss defect amplification with and
13) What is ISO 9000 standard. Define the process of ISO 9000 certification.
14) Differentiate between Quality Assurance and Quality Control
15) Describe Project manager’s objectives.
16) Elaborate the concept of Quality Assurance and Quality Control
17) Define software reliability and availability
Unit-4 System Engineering
1) Explain in detail the effective modular designs.
2) Explain the system engineering hierarchy and the factor of system modeling.
3) Explain the relationship between modularity and the software cost.
4) What do you mean by requirement engineering and what is its guideline principle? Explain.
5) Explain the factors which a system engineer should consider while developing a system
6) Explain the term Quality function development (QFD).
7) Explain with the help of neat sketch how an analysis model can be translated into a software
design. i.e. the design model.
8) Describe the goal of product engineering also draw the product engineering hierarchy.
9) Explain the relationship between modularity and the Software Cost.
10) What is software prototyping? Explain the throw away and evolutionary prototyping.
11) Explain Close Ended and Open Ended prototyping paradigm.
12) Discuss the system engineering hierarchy.
13) Explain requirement analysis and how it bridges between system engineering and software
14) Explain design documentation specification. Why do software development projects
generate so much documentation?
15) Explain the following
1. Partitioning in detail.
2. Quality function deployment (QFD) .
16) Explain business process engineering hierarchy?
17) Explain Design process in details.
18) Write note on design model and documentation.
Unit-5 Software Architecture
1) Explain any one of the Golden rule for user interface design
2) Explain basic steps in
ii) Transaction Mapping
3) Explain the steps for component Level Design
4) Explain the following terms.
i) Tabular design notation
ii) Program design notation
5) What is architectural style? Explain taxonomy of style and pattern?
6) Why high cohesion and low coupling necessary in effective modular design.
7) Describe the different evaluation criteria applied when a design model interface has created
8) How does the concept of recursive modules fit into the design philosophy and techniques?
9) Explain task analysis and modelling
10) Explain data design, in detail
11) What is software architecture design? State the data design architectural style.
12) What is meant by transaction mapping? Discuss various design steps for transaction
13) Explain interface design evaluation cycle in brief.
14) Explain data design process and what principles are to be followed in data design.
15) Describe in brief the taxonomy of styles and patterns of architecture style.
Unit-6 Software Testing
1) Explain why regression testing is necessary?
2) Explain Following type of testing.
i. Smoke Testing
ii.White Box Testing
iii.Black Box Testing
3) Explain the terms.
4) What is integration testing and explain top down integration and bottom up integration.
5) What is smoke testing? Explain in detail.
6) Explain white box testing in detail.
7) What is debugging? Explain Backtracking and cause Elimination.
8) State and explain primary objective for testing.
9) Explain any one method of control structure testing.
10) Explain basis path testing. Give an example.
11) Explain the terms verification and validation. How these help in achieving software quality?
12) Explain Cyclomatic complexity.
13) What is debugging? What are the bug removal considerations?
14) Explain Key quality attributes for computer software.
15) Discuss software testing strategy for conventional software architecture, draw suitable
16) Explain any one method of control structure testing.
17) Differentiate between verification and validation.